Wellbeing Coaches Help Polish Your Executive Skills
Enhancing the essential qualities you need for the C-suite
If you are hoping for a sustained career as a corporate leader, you can never become complacent. One way to keep challenging yourself is to work with a Wellbeing Executive Coach to polish the various skills you need to remain at the top of your game. Conferring with a coach can also help when you are facing various challenges that require you to go above and beyond to articulate a vision and implement a winning plan. Leadership can be lonely, and too much isolation enables poor decisions. A coach acts as a sounding board and provides emotional support, so you can test proposals and build the confidence necessary to be effective.
Executive coaching builds a comprehensive skill set
What are the essential attributes of a successful executive? They are a combination of practical skills and intangible qualities that inspire confidence and loyalty. Wellbeing Executive Coaches help you identify traits to hone, which can include:
- Leadership – What is it about one person that persuades others to follow? The answer is often the ability to articulate a compelling vision for the future. Thus, leaders are imaginative, optimistic and persuasive. A coach can help you clarify your vision, adjust your attitude, and express yourself in a positive manner that gets the “buy-in” you need from your company’s stakeholders.
- Strategic thinking – Having a goal is laudable. Detailing the steps to achieve that goal is priceless. A coach can help you reverse engineer your vision to create a step-by-step plan for success.
- Technical skill – Every successful person must know his or her own weaknesses. If you are deficient in some technical skill or some knowledge of high-tech processes, that’s nothing to be ashamed of, but it is an ill you must remedy. It’s true that you don’t have to know how to build a watch to tell time, but if gaps in your technical ability are impeding your job performance, you must take the steps necessary to improve your skills.
- Communication – With every interaction, we teach people how to treat us. If you want to be treated like a leader, your every communication must reinforce your position as a leader. A coach can help you refine your communication in everything from small talk to emails to employee evaluations.
- Presentation – Many executives who are adept at interpersonal communication flounder when it comes to formal presentations. Technology can provide robust assistance, but even the most elaborate PowerPoint presentation cannot compensate for weak public speaking. Working with a coach can greatly enhance your public speaking skills.
By working closely with your Wellbeing Executive Coach, you can minimize your deficiencies and maximize your strengths to build a formula for sustained success.
Cultivating the persona of a successful executive
Successful executives have an aura about them, which often comes down to three identifiable characteristics:
- Confidence – Without being brash or cocky, a successful C-level exec has an air of confidence borne of achievement.
- Humility – Successful executives are in the habit of claiming less credit for accomplishments, but taking more than their share of the responsibility for shortcomings. Their graciousness in sharing credit, along with their accountability when assigning blame, inspires loyalty in their team.
- Passionate detachment – Execs must walk a fine line by being enthusiastically committed to their vision, but open to suggestion and criticism from team members. Their passion inspires, while their detachment suggests they value the opinions of others.
In your role as an executive, you must communicate subtly, but powerfully, in the way you carry yourself. While it’s possible for a naturally gifted leader to learn this intuitively, most of us need a mentor, or tutor, or a coach to bring out our full potential.
Develop your executive ability with a certified Wellbeing Coach
Executives hoping to rise to C-level must constantly hone their skills. By partnering with a Wellbeing Coach, you can grow within your leadership role, sustaining your success with your company and throughout your career. Contact a coach today.